At ECHO, when avocados are ripe, we have a lot of them! When they’re in season, we can’t help but stash some away in the freezer. This is a great recipe in season and out! Works perfectly with frozen avocado if fresh aren’t available.
I spent six hours last week serving OVER 900 samples of this cake to many curious guests at the Taste of Lee Tropical Fruit Fair. Some were skeptical, but everyone went away raving about the flavor and texture of this cake. It's not a healthy recipe, but when you want to include all the goodness of avocado into a unique dessert, this is the perfect recipe for you! It can also be modified to be gluten free or sugar free. Let me know in the comments if you are going to try it!
If you attended the event, what did you think of the cake?
- 2 and 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups avocado, pureed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 cup flour
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and avocado.
- Add spices, baking soda, salt, then buttermilk.
- Mix well, then add flour.
- Bake in greased 9x13 pan, 1 hour at 325. Toothpick should come out clean.
- Optional, serve with whipped cream on top.